home | resources | bullying | bullying at work

Bullying at Work

work bully

Everyone has the right to feel safe at work without the risk of getting injured. You should not be threatened, harassed or bullied at work.

If you’re the victim of workplace violence or crime, there’s help available.

What is workplace bullying?

Workplace bullying includes things like:

  • Practical jokes
  • Being criticised or insulted
  • Rumours being spread about you
  • Being threatened with losing your job
  • Being overloaded with work

These are only some of the ways you can be bullied.

What is workplace violence?

Workplace violence includes things like:

  • Someone threatening to hurt you
  • Being pushed, punched, kicked or shoved
  • Having things thrown at you
  • Racist or unwelcome sexual comments
  • Indecent physical contact, like being felt up

This is not a complete list. Other behaviour could also be workplace violence.

What can I do about it?

If you are being bullied at work, or have experienced workplace violence, here are some suggestions for what you can do.

What you can do if you're an employee

Under the OHS Act you have the right to refuse to work if you’re in immediate danger.

Here are five steps you should take to deal with violence or bullying:

  1. Tell your employer what happened
  2. Take photos of any injuries (go to the doctor and get a WorkCover medical certificate if needed)
  3. Get help (from places like Job Watch, your union or a solicitor)
  4. Report what happened to WorkSafe Victoria (new window)
  5. Keep a record of what happens to you and hang onto any evidence (like medical certificates, WorkCover claims and any physical evidence like emails or photos)

If you’re the victim of violence or bullying at work you can contact your union (if you’re a union member) or your occupational health and safety representative (if your workplace has one).

In large organisations you can speak to your human resources manager. You can also contact WorkSafe Victoria, Job Watch or the police.

If you plan to take legal action there are time limits on when you can make a claim, so get advice as soon as you can.

What you can do if you're an apprentice or trainee

As an apprentice or trainee you have the same rights as other employees.

If you’re the victim of workplace violence or bullying you should report the incident to an Apprenticeship Field Officer or to the Apprenticeship Administration Branch of the Office of Training and Tertiary Education (OTTE) (new window).

When is workplace violence a crime?

Some workplace violence is criminal behaviour and punishable by law. If you think you’ve been the victim of a crime (for example, if someone causes you serious injury) you should make a statement at your local police station.

Even if no one else knows about what’s happened you should report it to the police.

More information

The following are places that can provide you with more information about your rights relating to workplace violence or bullying:

This article is based on the information in the Workplace Violence and Bullying publication (new window) by WorkSafe Victoria.

Tags: ,

Add a Comment

Please be civil.

( Use Markdown for formatting.)

( )

Subscribe Unsubscribe
Click button to Report bullying or violence

Copyright © 2008-2009 All Rights Reserved
Website created by:DreaMorph DesignDreamMorph Design sitemap xml